ASEAN YOUTH VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME (AYVP)
Inaugural Programme for the Development of
ASEAN Youth Eco-Leaders
through Volunteerism & Community Engagement
15th August – 20th September 2013, Malaysia
We are recruiting 100 ASEAN youth volunteers between the ages of 18 and 30 who are driven and motivated to help conserve and protect our region from the over-exploitation of natural resources and climate change.
As an ASEAN Youth Eco-Leader you will:
- Strengthen your leadership skills in environmental conservation across the ASEAN region
- Gain knowledge and support to implement similar projects in your own country/community
- Learn, explore and experience ASEAN’s unique biodiversity sites, eco-challenges and solutions while working towards protecting them. Be part of the team to explore and protect these four selected biodiversity sites:
- Kampong Dew Firefly Sanctuary, Perak
- Kuala Selangor Nature Park, Selangor
- Mersing Coastal Communities, Johor
- Setiu Wetlands, Terengganu
- Work with local communities to enhance their quality of life and conserve their natural surroundings
- Strengthen and apply your leadership and interpersonal skills through volunteerism and community engagement
- Participate in innovative and experiential learning programmes through community projects around the region
- Create friendships with youths from across ASEAN, while learning different cultures that makes us unique
- Gain regional recognition from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) and the ASEAN Secretariat through certification and academic credits.
The inaugural programme will be for 5 weeks:
- Week 1: Orientation and training at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM or The National University of Malaysia) – the only university in this region that is located in about 100 hectares of forest reserve
- Week 2 – 4: Work at the various selected bio-diversity sites in Malaysia (See below for a map of the bio-diversity sites)
- Week 5: Back to UKM for sharing and coordination, monitoring and evaluation of projects
The selection will be based on the merits of the individual. The closing date of application will be midnight 7th June 2013. Only shortlisted volunteers will be notified. The selected participants will be notified after 30th of June 2013.
The programme will provide two way flight tickets, accommodation, 3 meals per day, project orientation and travels during the duration of the project.
- Age 18 to 30 years old
- Citizen of an ASEAN country
- Interested applicants can come from:
- Industry and foundations,
- Government agencies
- Aspiring volunteer leaders who want to make a difference
How to Apply
Applications for this programme can be sent in 3 modes. Please choose only ONE, so as to avoid duplication.
2) By going to our online form at www.ayvpform.asiaengage.org and attach all relevant documents where indicated.
3) By printing out the form and filling it up manually and include copies of all relevant documents. You can then post them to the address below:
The AYVP@AsiaEngage Secretariat
Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Industry and Community Partnerships)
Executive Director, AsiaEngage (ATNEU, AUN USR&S and AYVP)
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia,
43600 Bangi, Selangor, MALAYSIA
Tel: +603 8921 4922
Fax: +603 8921 4652
Download the form here.