We are proud to announce that AsiaEngage’s Executive Director, Prof. Dato’ Dr. Saran Kaur Gill has been invited to be the first and only Asian visiting scholar in 2013 for Engagement Australia’s member only Visiting Scholars and Experts Programme.
This long standing and successful programme is designed to build engagement depth, skills and capacity while increasing knowledge and understanding around specific and diverse areas of scholarship and practice.
Prof. Dato’ Dr. Saran, who is also Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia’s (The National University of Malaysia – UKM) Deputy Vice Chancellor for Community and Industry Partnerships is committed to regional university-community-industry engagement, and believes in its ultimate power in transforming not only higher education, but communities as well. Her knowledge as well as perspectives on “engagement” will certainly support Engagement Australia’s objectives to lead, develop and promote a stronger and sustainable culture of engagement in Australian higher education. She will also be using the programme as a platform to promote the high impact community engagement projects and programmes that are being carried out in ASEAN and Asia that Australia can take lessons from while also learning from the Australian standpoint.
Prof. Dato’ Dr. Saran will be offering the following two sessions during her stint in Australia:
Leading Community Engagement at an Institutional level
- Suits university executive and senior management at a breakfast or luncheon meeting (1.5 hours)
- Individual meeting with Vice Chancellor and/or DVC/PVC Engagement
Asian perspectives on engagement: Highlighting models and best-practice
- Suits those active or seeking to be active in university-community engagement activities from: business & industry, community and local government and higher educations – academic and professional staff as well as students.
- Suggested session could include a presentation followed by a roundtable (3 hours)
As part of her tour, Prof. Dato’ Dr. Saran will be at the following institutions in Australia during her visit:
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Flinders University
- University of Southern Queensland
- Central Queensland University
The program is scheduled to commence on Tuesday 12 March 2013 and are available on a first come first served basis. The Expression of Interest (EoI) material for the first Visiting Scholar & Experts program for 2013 can be downloaded here.
For more information, please visit Engagement Australia’s website.